It's the weekend. wooooop.... time for a big badass breakfast I think. I love breakfast, it's probably my favourite meal. Which has always been somewhat of a problem in my family as my husband is not a massive morning eater. I on the other hand feel sick if i do not eat. So I'm not going to lie, I've had a fair few breakfasts by myself, but most of the time I just make him wake up and come with me. hah.
So we have a great recipe, instead of just normal bacon and eggs, we have come up with something a little more exciting. Oven baked sweet potato and carrot rosti with poached eggs, avocado and bacon! whaaaat. yes. I wish it was breakfast time now.
This meal is high in complex carbs, fibre, protein, healthy fats and vitamins and minerals, ok yes there is a naughty bit of bacon in there, but that's because breakfast isn't breakfast without bacon! Just kidding, you can totally take that out if you fancy, but we aren't going to.
LOADED SWEET POTATO & CARROT ROSTI
- 1 Sweet potato, grated
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 1 Garlic glove, minced
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper
- Red Onion, diced
- Pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Grate the peeled sweet potato & carrot. Whisk the egg in a bowl. Add the grated sweet potato, grated carrot, minced garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Split the mixture in two and place on the baking tray. Form into a rösti about 15 cm in diameter and 1.5 cm high. Bake in the oven for 20 min, until golden. Using a spatula, carefully turn the rösti bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Put the bacon under the grill, or fry it, up to you.
- While the röstis are baking, poach 2 eggs. 2-3 minutes for semi soft yolk, 3-4 for a firm yolk.
- Slice the avocado & red onion.
- Plate - Rösti, then avocado & red onion, add a squeeze of lime, then the bacon, then the egg. Garnish with parsley, chives, pumpkin seeds.